Country & Territories (list based on ISO 3166-1 codes with minor exceptions for the year 2016)
In italic * Countries that have been member or observer of PCA, LON or UNO
1900.ethnia.org is an essay, its goal is to try to find the countries, territories, governments, first-level administrative divisions and main international organizations that have existed during the 20th century.
IT IS STILL IN BETA STAGE and must not be taken as fully authoritative. This is the 2nd version of the website that began in 1999. Loading pages is sometimes slow.
|Current depth of investigation: . [rose: country completed at level 2 (province, county, ...), red: level 3 (district, ...), white: level 1 only (region, federated State, ...)]
For an idea on how was built the site, see the following documentary link of wikipedia [fr] : Modèle:Infobox
For a personal reflection on the general representation of political entities, see the following link.
Ѻ Ѻ Ѻ
Sources from internet:
* The historical polities have mainly been found from the World Statesmen website, thanks to Ben Calhoon (US).
* The historical administrative divisions have mainly been found from the Statoids website, thanks to Gwillim Law (US).
* The flags have mainly been found from the FOTW website, thanks to Rob Raeside (CA). (the link given is from my mirror of this site)
* The coat of arms have mainly been found from the Heraldry of the World website, maintained by Ralf Hartemink (NL).
* The photos of rulers have mainly been found from the Rulers.org" website, thanks to Benjamin Schemmel (DE).
* The historical currencies have mainly been found from the books of "World Paper Money", ed. Krause (US).
* The historical maps have mainly been found from the World History at KMLA" website, maintained by Alexander Ganse (DE).
For Europe, North Africa and Middle East, I have been helped by the Centennia Historical Atlas Software, ed. Centennia (US).
* The linguistical data have mainly been found from the L'aménagement linguistique dans le monde website, maintained by Jacques Leclerc (CA).
* The population and areas, in sus of my personal collection of data, have mainly been found from the Population Statistics website, maintained by Jan Lahmeyer (NL).
Many data have been found on the incontournable Wikipedia, Google Books, and other online websites.
Some of the flags and coat of arms are drawn by myself according to descriptions, stamps, banknotes or others.
More complete TODO list and sources by countries.
Any suggestion, correction, addition is welcome and can be sent to .
LAST MODIFICATIONS : 2016-SEP-17.